Sweet Potato Biscuits
Makes 12-15 biscuits
4 cups hand mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
5 cups flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1. Roast 4-5 sweet potatoes at 400 F until potatoes are soft throughout (time may vary with size of sweet potatoes.)
2. Peel off sweet potato skins and any brown bits that cling to the potato.
3. Raise oven heat to 425 F.
4. Mash potatoes and measure out 4 cups.
5. Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
6. Add mashed sweet potatoes to dry ingredients and mix by hand, or mix potatoes and dry ingredients together on a clean work surface. Be careful not to over mix dough; it should still have some visible streaks of potato in it.
7. Pat dough into a large rectangle on a lightly floured work surface and cut into smaller square sized biscuits.
8. Transfer squares to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake 12-15 minutes.